(from £2,300 to £3,450 + disbursements)
The exact cost will depend on the individual circumstances of the matter.
In the following circumstances we anticipate that your probate case will take between 10-15 hours work at £230 per hour. Total costs will be inbetween £2,300 and £3,450 + VAT & Disbursements. This assumes that for example, if there is one beneficiary and no property, costs will be at the lower end of the range. If there are multiple beneficiaries, a property and multiple bank accounts, costs will be at the higher end.
We will give you an estimate when you let us have the information about the estate you are dealing with.
We will handle the full process for you. This quote is for estates where:
- There is a valid will
- There is no more than one property
- There are no more than 2 bank or building society accounts
- There are no more than 2 liabilities
- There are 2 legatees
- There are 2 beneficiaries of the remainder of the estate
- There are no disputes between beneficiaries on division of assets. If disputes arise this is likely to lead to an increase in costs
- There is no inheritance tax payable and the executors do not need to submit a full account to HMRC
- There are no claims made against the estate
Disbursements are costs related to your matter that are payable to third parties, such as court fees. We handle the payment of the disbursements on your behalf to ensure a smoother process.
Disbursements which are also payable are listed below:
Probate application fee – £155
Swearing of the oath (per executor) – £7
Notice in the London Gazette – Protects against unexpected claims from unknown creditors – £150
Notice in a Local Newspaper – This also helps to protect against unexpected claims – £150
How long will this take (2-3 months)
On average, estates that fall within this range are dealt with within 2-3 months. Typically, obtaining the grant of probate takes between 2-3 weeks once the application is submitted. Collecting assets then follows, which can take between 3-6 weeks. Once this has been done, we can distribute the assets, which normally takes 3-6 weeks.
Potential additional cost
If there is no will or the estate consists of any share holdings (stocks and bonds) there are likely to be additional costs that could range significantly depending on the estate and how it is to be dealt with. We can give you a more accurate quote once we have more information.
If any additional copies of the grant are required, they will cost 0.50 (1 per asset usually).
Dealing with the sale or transfer of any property in the estate is not included.
- We will provide you with a dedicated and experienced probate solicitor to work on your matter
- Identify the legally appointed executors or administrators and beneficiaries
- Accurately identify the type of Probate Application you will require
- Obtaining the relevant documents required to make the application
- Complete the Probate Application and the relevant HMRC forms
- Draft a legal oath for you to swear
- Make the application to the probate Court on your behalf
- Obtain the probate and securely send two copies to you
- Collect and distribute all assets in the estate
Free initial discussion
The Wills and Probate team at Blackstone Solicitors is here to help you protect your interests and to provide the all-important peace of mind. Getting in touch with us could not be easier. Simply give us a call for a free, no obligation initial discussion on 0161 929 0121 or complete the online enquiry form on this page to allow a member of our legal team to contact you.