Why Choose Us?
In This Section
- Player/athlete contracts
- Player breaches
- Manager contracts
- Club contracts
- Club breaches
- Agent representation agreements
- Kit and sportswear disputes
- Intellectual Property disputes
- Commission disputes
- HMRC issues
- Licensing, media and broadcasting
- Regulatory and governance issues
- Sports marketing
- Central contracts in cricket
Blackstone Solicitors provides legal advice on matters relating to clubs breaching their contracts across a variety of sports.
In the highly competitive world of professional sports, it is typical for sporting organisations to attempt to recruit players and managers. Those who are already under contract are typically more persuaded by the prospect of new, more lucrative contracts or a higher level of competition. Nonetheless, these actions involve the possibility of (at the very least) significant claims of inducing a breach of contract, particularly in situations where a loss is alleged to have been sustained. Such accusations are frequently levelled at the individual directors responsible for the negotiations; this is a standard tactic employed by Claimant clubs/sports organisations that see unfair approaches to their players/managers.
We can provide all the expert legal assistance you need, having considerable experience in this area of law and can advise you throughout the process.
We place huge emphasis on getting things done properly and efficiently. This is especially true when providing legal advice concerning club contracts and any possible disputes that may occur with the contract regarding potential breaches. We will comprehensively ensure all of the necessary provisions for each party are carefully analysed.
Regardless of the value of the contract or the size of the club, our solicitors have the experience and specialist knowledge to help you achieve an outcome that is both fair and beneficial. We will take the time to make sure you fully understand the agreement and its objectives, as well as what is expected of each party to the contract and the possible consequences of a breach.
“I was very happy with the service provided by Judith Chesters and her team from the Hale branch of Blackstone Solicitors. I’m Swiss and had to deal with my grandparents estate in Hale. Judith really made it easier for me and solved every single problem I had. Thank you!”
Why Legal Help is Important
At Blackstone, we can help to ensure the agreement is favourable to you and gives you the very best chance of achieving the outcome you are looking for. Club contracts can often be complex and detailed documents and it is therefore imperative that you seek expert legal help to ensure any contract you sign, is suitable and correct. If a club has been accused of breaching the terms of a contract or is looking to actively breach the terms, we can advise accordingly.
A contract between a club and a player may only be terminated on expiry of the contract or by mutual agreement. Unilateral termination of a contract without just cause, is to be avoided as there are inevitably consequences of doing so.
We provide various services for clubs looking to sign a contract, including advising on the agreements and making sure everything is completed thoroughly and without error and is in your best interests.
We can advise on various areas related to player contracts including:
- Breaches of contract by a club
- Player contracts and any related paperwork
- Standard playing contracts and team member agreements for leagues, teams and regulatory bodies
- Domestic and international transfer agreements, including the drafting of transfer and loan documents
- Bonus schemes and “buy-out” clauses in player contracts, which need to be negotiated and drafted
- Agreements made prior to the signing of a contract or an option to purchase
- Image Rights;
- Instances covered by Article 17 of the FIFA Regulations
- Problems with Third-Party Ownership and Regulations
- Issues covered by the Intermediary Regulations, such as what should be included in a representation agreement, what kinds of compensation are allowed, and other compliance concerns.
Get in Touch
Find out more about our services and how our sports solicitors can help you and your career by getting in touch today. Simply call us on 0330 808 0849 or complete our online enquiry form and a member of the team will call you back at a convenient time.
We are able to help individuals throughout the North West as well as the rest of the UK and internationally from our offices in Cheshire and London.