Farm business tenancies
A tenancy of agricultural land will be a farm business tenancy if:
- it was granted on or after 1st September 1995 and
- all or part of the land is used for trade or business and this state of affairs continues at all times during the tenancy and
- either the character of the tenancy (at the relevant time and not necessarily at the beginning or end) is primarily or wholly agricultural or the landlord and the tenant have exchanged notices in the prescribed statutory form prior to the start, confirming that it is to be, and will remain a farm business tenancy.
“A very friendly legal firm to deal with, feels like a family, yet very thorough and great attention to detail. Would definitely recommend.”
Landlords and tenants can negotiate their own rent levels and decide whether or not they want to have rent reviews. Either the landlord or tenant can demand a rent review every 3 years by law. However, landlords and tenants can agree on how often a rent review should take place – this agreement replaces the law. For example, you can agree on a rent review every 4 years but you must not preclude a reduction in rent in your rent review agreements.
As a farm business tenant you’re entitled to compensation at the end of a tenancy for:
- physical improvements you’ve made to a holding (provided the landlord has given consent to the improvements)
- changes that increase the value of the holding (provided they are left behind when the tenant leaves)
You can agree in writing an upper limit on the amount of compensation, usually equal to the tenant’s cost in making the improvements. Landlords and tenants of a Farm Business Tenancy can end the tenancy by issuing a notice to quit. The minimum notice period to quit is 12 months
The passionate and friendly team at Blackstone Solicitors is here to guide you through what can be a complex and demanding process. Getting in touch to discuss your situation could not be easier. Simply call us on 0345 901 0445 or fill in our online contact form to allow us to get back to you at your earliest convenience.
How we can help
With our positive and to-the-point approach, we always ensure all dealings are carried out correctly and promptly, meaning nothing is left to chance. We are proactive and direct, communicative and transparent, and will guide you along every step of the way to make sure everything runs as it should.
Blackstone is based in Manchester and we have an additional office in London We regularly take on clients from Cheshire, Chester, the rest of the UK and internationally.
Get in touch
Find out how you can benefit from our tenacious and forthright approach today by getting in touch with the team. Doing so is easy, simply give us a call on 0345 901 0445 or allow us to contact you by completing our online contact form.